Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

OUR Story

On October 14, 2009, we were blessed with a beautiful baby boy, Cohen James Martin. He was absolutely PERFECT.  He weighed 7 lbs 14 oz. and was 20.5 inches long.  I dreamed of the day Cody and I would become parents and that day my biggest dream came true. Cohen was the most laid back baby I had ever been around. He never cried... EVER.  He would give out a little sound of frustration if he was hungry. Other than that he was happy and completely laid back.
Cody and I always said we would like to have our kids 2 years apart. So when Cohen was 15 months old we were pregnant for baby #2! This is our last family picture of just the 3 of us.
We found out that our second child was due November 1, 2011.  I could not contain myself with excitement, yet I didn't want to tell anyone (other than our parents and siblings) until we went to the Dr. Baby number 2 was a little more dramatic from day 1. At my first ultrasound they said that the baby's heart was beating slow and we would have to follow up in a week. I was so scared at this point. My sister miscarried for her first child and I couldn't imagine what she went through, yet I prayed I wouldn't have to experience it. Luckily our little one was a fighter and wanted to be here no matter what. We went back the next week and to our surprise the baby's heartbeat was steady.  At 20 weeks we found out that we were having a GIRL. I always knew if God gave me a girl she would be the MOST DRAMATIC little girl anyone had ever known.  At 30 weeks pregnant I switched OB/GYN's.  I was not satisfied with the care I was receiving and called on a high school classmate whose dad is an amazing OB/GYN in our hometown (He wasn't on my insurance list that is why he was not my OB to start with, but by this time he had been added on... THANK YOU GOD!)
Dr. Bourque does 3rd trimester ultrasounds on all of his patients and I went just in time for mine. At 33 weeks we completed my ultrasound and we found out that our little girl was LITTLE. Dr. Bourque noted that it looked like my placenta was aging. He asked that we come back in 2 weeks for a follow up ultrasound. I was under strict orders to drink a lot of water, eat, and rest as much as possible with a 2 year old! I did just as the Dr ordered and we went back at 35 weeks.  I was scared (There is nothing like hearing something is wrong )...At 35 weeks we found out that Dr. Bourque was right, my placenta was aging and we would have to deliver sooner than later. Sawyer looked great on the ultrasound other than  the fact that she was petite... Now what little girl doesn't want to be petite? Therefore I was sent to the Hospital on the night of Sunday, October 2, 2011....
Sawyer delivery was just as easy as Cohen's. The NICU attended delivery because we knew that being she was premature she may have to go to the NICU.
At 1:19 am on Monday, October 3, 2012 our little ANGEL arrived needing absolutely NO NICU assistance. Sawyer Brookes Martin, weighing 5 lbs 8 oz and 18 inches long. The minute they handed her to me "I knew".... I knew my baby had Down Syndrome. Never in a million years did I think our baby girl would have anything wrong with her.  Cody went and called in our parents to come and meet their newest grand-daughter. I remember looking around wondering if anyone else saw what I saw. Did they notice her eyes? Was I going crazy... I remember thinking how horrible I think my baby looks like she has Down Syndrome... It was about and hour later we found out that they thought Sawyer was Down Syndrome Suspicious. At that moment I cried, we cried... Yes cried. You only imagine your child being perfect and healthy. I asked that everyone get out of the room other than Cody. I needed time with just the two of them. I looked at her wondering if she would bond with me, rather would I bond with her. The sudden moment of joy turned into sadness. All I could think about was what I knew of Down Syndrome (which wasn't much). What would her life hold, what would our life hold? She just looked at me with those eyes... Yes those beautiful eyes saying "I LOVE YOU MOM"... I didn't want to call anyone. I wanted it to just sink in.  How? Why? I am only 27... I thought this only happened to people over 35? I held her with all of my strength asking God to help me understand.  We were discharged on Tuesday and asked that Cohen be brought to the hospital to meet his little sister and ride home with us.  I will never forget the moment Cohen met Sawyer. I will never forget what he taught me in that moment in time... "every moment counts"
The moment Cohen saw Sawyer

Cohen looked at her with such PRIDE. He looked at her and smiled a smile I had never seen before. He taught us that Love is Love... Living through a child's eyes can teach you so much more than you ever thought you would learn. I never imagined that my 2 year old would make me grow so much in one moment. I owe my following feelings to him. To his little soul who has no clue what he gave me and Cody that day. He gave me Pride! He gave me Joy! He gave me all the feelings I had the day HE was born. I look back at that day only 4 short months ago and if I could take back all of the feelings of fear and sadness back I would. In only 4 short months there is NO WAY I would trade my little girl for any other. I have learned that the word "normal" is what you make it to be. Yes Sawyer has Down Syndrome but Down Syndrome does not have Sawyer. She only has 2 small characteristics of her diagnosis. Her eyes have a slight slant and her neck is short. Hey we can definitely live with that. Her heart is perfect, she doesn't even have a murmur.  So the biggest trial we would have had is out of our sites.
I know that we don't know what our future holds but neither do you. You don't know what life has in store for you or anyone else.  Our little angel is going to teach us all so much more than we could have ever learned. I can not wait to live the journey we were picked to live. With Cohen as Sawyer's big brother there is nothing that will stop them.
Our First Family Picture of 4
The first time Cohen held Sawyer!


1 comment: